Great White Shark Tours
The owner and founder Brian McFarlane is a professional diver and skipper who has always made a living from the sea.
He started diving for perlemoen (abalone) at a young age, then moved on to become a commercial fisherman for 6 years and spent another 6 years diving in search of wrecks along the southern coast of Africa. This was followed by the diving for diamonds from the seabed for the next 20 years.
Learn about the sea creatures from a professional
He has become a local legend with his fascinating tales about the sea and underwater experiences. During the time when Great White Shark fishing was allowed, Brian caught Great Whites, some weighing more than 1 ton.
Today, he dearly regrets this and now spends his time and efforts in finding the great beasts to be observed and photographed at close range. Brian has worked with the Great Whites for 18 years, and has only had 6 non-sighting days in the last 10 years.
“Provide clients with an unforgettable educational trip, diving and viewing great white sharks that we respect and will protect”
Our crew consists of Anthony Melly, Gert Boshoff, Eric Booker, Happy Tyalo and Dira Tyalo, who each have in total more than 10 years experience in the industry and has all the necessary qualifications, which are regularly updated by attending refresher courses. These highly experienced operators are trained in CPR Management and have a media flow chart on board in case of an emergency. Brian has a hi-tech Catamaran, comfortable and perfect for Great White Cage Diving and Surface Viewing! To view the boat (fitted with four 200 horse-power, eco-friendly engines), visit our Gallery page.
Get up close and personal with the sharks
Now it is your turn to join this incredible crew and company for your gap year. During your time with Great White Shark Tours you will have the unique privilege of becoming one of the very few people who get to truly understand these magnificent creatures.
Make great friend on and off the waves
Our gap year placement doesn't just start and end with the boat, crew and sharks. Outside of office hours there is a whole host of activities that you can take to make your adventure in South Africa an experience you will never forget.
• Unique opportunity to do daily shark trips (conditions permitted)
• Multiple cage dives
• Become part of the crew and team
• Learn about the shark cage diving industry
• Chance to learn about the Marine Big 5 (Great White Sharks, Southern Right Whales, Cape Fur Seals, African Penguins and dolphins)
• Receive lectures
• Getting involved with the community
• Helping the environment and animals by doing a variety of land-based projects (beach clean-ups, surveys)
• Collecting data
• Excellent wildlife photography opportunities
• Explore the surrounding towns and environments
What is included
• Volunteer pack (t-shirts, cap and jacket)
• Shark Cage Diving Trips
• Excursions (trips to Cape Agulhas, wine tasting, Cape Town trips)
• Lunch on the boat
• Light breakfast at accommodation (self-catering basis)
• Certificate at end of your programme
• One trip DVD
Placements open for
• 2, 4, 6 and extended weeks (up to 3 months)
• Participants over 18
• Limited persons with disabilities (depending on disability)
• Min 1 and max 12 persons